What We Do | Singleton Funeral & Cremation Services, PA


What We Do

Veteran Services & Military Funerals

At Singleton Funeral & Cremations Services, P.A., we are committed to respectfully caring for our veterans. After all, they have proven their devotion to their country, and to their fellow citizens. This is why we chose to become local area experts in veterans’ benefits, and offer our veterans comprehensive options to honor the life of our veterans.

At Singleton Funeral & Cremations Services, P.A., we are committed to respectfully caring for our veterans. After all, they have proven their devotion to their country, and to their fellow citizens. This is why we chose to become local area experts in veterans’ benefits, and offer our veterans comprehensive options to honor the life of our veterans.

Having served many veterans and their families over the years, we are well-versed in the arrangement of special military observances to honor your loved one’s service to our country. Depending on the branch of service, military detachments may provide a color guard, rifle salute, and taps. This service is offered to any honorably discharged veteran, regardless of rank. Although this service typically takes place at the cemetery, it can also be done at a church or the funeral home.

Relax...We'll Take Care of the Details

Our professional staff takes pride in coordinating all the details involved in honoring the veteran in your life with the appropriate ceremonies, whether you choose burial or cremation. For families who desire full honors for the veteran in their life, we can provide:

• An official United States flag

• Coordination with the appropriate branch of service for military honors

• Assist with military personalization

• Completion of applications for all veteran benefits

• Arrangements with the Veterans Cemetery

• Assist with documentation through the Veterans Administration

You Should Also Know...

You will need documentation to verify military service in order to receive military honors and benefits. If your family does not have a DD Form 214 at the time of death this may delay benefits, so it’s important to obtain these papers as soon as possible and keep them in a safe place.

A “Report of Separation from the Armed Forces of the United States” also known as “discharge papers”, is normally required to verify military service. In most cases, this report is the DD Form 214.

To obtain or amend a copy of your military service record and/or your Official Military Personnel File (DD-214, OMPFs), please visit the website for the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). If you have been discharged from military service, your personnel files are stored at NARA, the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard.

NARA has an online document request service called eVetRecs which allows you to request copies of military personnel records online. This system provides a customized order form to request information from your or your relative's military personnel records.

Questions about your military records can also be sent to:

National Personnel Records Center 

9700 Page Boulevard 

St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

As we’ve said, our funeral directors will be glad to assist you in obtaining the necessary forms. Call us today at (410) 766-7070 to learn more.

Your Options for Burial in a National or State Veteran Cemetery

Veterans, members of the Armed Forces of the United States who die on active duty, spouses and their eligible dependents may be buried in a national or state cemetery.

Burial or inurnment in a national or state cemetery includes:

• A gravesite (if space if available) or niche

• Opening and closing of the grave or niche

• A grave liner for casketed remains

• A government headstone or marker

• Perpetual care at no cost to the family

There is a nominal fee set by the state for the interment of the veteran’s eligible family member for the opening and closing of the grave, or niche, and the grave liner. Cremated remains are buried or inurned in these cemeteries in the same manner and with the same honors as casketed remains.

While the National Veterans Cemetery in Maryland, located in Baltimore, is closed to new interments, space may be available for eligible family members in an existing gravesite.

It is good to know, however, that the State of Maryland, through the Cemetery Program of the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA), offers Maryland veterans, and their eligible dependents, a final resting place at one of five state veterans' cemeteries located throughout Maryland. The Program is the largest of its kind in the nation.

Cheltenham Veterans Cemetery

Crownsville Veterans Cemetery

Eastern Shore Veterans Cemetery

Garrison Forest Veterans Cemetery

Rocky Gap Veterans Cemetery

If this is an option you’d like to explore, a Pre-interment Program is available through which veterans may indicate their desire to be buried in one of the state’s cemeteries and verify their eligibility for such burial on a pre-need basis. To find out more about this program, call us today at (410) 766-7070.

Please note that burials in a national or state cemetery usually are not conducted on weekends and, depending on the cemetery, there may be a waiting period before burial can occur.

We also experienced in arranging funerals at Arlington National Cemetery, or any other national cemetery in the United States.

Cremation and Military Honors

Many families are not aware that cremation allows for as many options as traditional burial. A memorial service with military honors can be held in our chapel, your local church, or any other location of significance to your family.

Depending on your family’s preference, the urn may or may not be present at the ceremony. Oftentimes, the family prefers a funeral service, including the presence of a casket, with cremation to follow. Whether you choose traditional burial, or cremation, our professional staff can coordinate any type of special memorial tribute to fully honor your loved one. Call us today at (410) 766-7070 to explore your options.

Presidential Memorial Certificates

Initiated almost fifty years ago, in March 1962, by President John F. Kennedy, veterans’ families can request a “Presidential Memorial Certificate.” This is an engraved paper certificate, signed by the current President, to honor the memory of honorably discharged, deceased veterans. Please note that a certificate must be requested. Just as with the flag, it is not an automatic offering. We can assist your family in obtaining this certificate.

Your Veteran Deserves to Receive All Benefits

Research has shown that many veterans do not receive all the benefits that they are entitled to. It’s good to know that just one call to Singleton Funeral and Cremation Services is all you need to make. We will handle all the details of making burial and cremation arrangements for veterans.

We will answer all your questions about military protocol, assure that legal requirements are met, and provide whatever equipment, facilities, and technical services that may be needed. We will help you in obtaining all veterans’ benefits available.

America could not succeed without the dedication and sacrifice of our military service members and their families. We take our responsibility to you very seriously. It is helpful to consider all your options and take time to ask questions before making final decisions about such an important event. It is our intent to help make the entire experience as positive as possible. Contact us today to learn more about Veteran Services.